While a day away at a high-end spa is a great way to relax, most of us don’t have that kind of time, or that much cash. Luckily, there are some very simple things you can do that won’t break the bank and take less than 5 minutes of your time.
- Grab a good tune. Music really does soothe the savage beast–and monster headaches and stress as well. Listening to, or singing along with a favorite tune can make melt away stress. Try some “spa music” to transport yourself to immediate relaxation–especially before bedtime.
- Seek the Sun. You’ve probably heard of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Turns out a a very brief exposure to Our Mr. Sun makes a big difference. If it’s a dark day, find a bright light and just back in the glory of the bulb for a few minutes. Your spirits will lift and your mood will elevate.
- Sip green tea. There’s something soothing about drinking warm liquids, and green tea contains L-Theanine, a chemical that helps relieve anger. Fire up the Keurig and you’ll be in green-tea bliss super-quick.
- Try progressive relaxation. You’ve probably done this at some time in your life and just forgotten the great feeling you got afterwards. It’s easy. Just squeeze (tense) the muscles in one body part at a time (start with your toes!) and then release to achieve a state of calm. It’s also a great way to help you fall asleep.
- Smell stuff. It takes just a minute to drip some lavender, rosewood or bergamot, or another essential oil into your palm and inhale. The scents may help send stress and anxiety packing by stimulating smell receptors in the nose that connect to the part of the brain that regulates emotions.
- Make an appointment for a therapeutic massage. It takes about 2 minutes to phone us or go online and book an appointment. Just BOOKING the appointment means you’re setting aside the time to do something for yourself. Something you deserve. Try a massage a couple times a month and it’s a guarantee you’ll feel (and be) more relaxed and calm in your daily life.